Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Mouse for Less

Many, many, many years ago (maybe 1997?) when I was planning our family's very first trip to Walt Disney World, I was amazed at the amount of information I could find on the internet.  Yes, back in 1997 it was all pretty new to me!  So through my searchings I found a group through Yahoo Groups called "Disney Dollarless".  Well, this was a WONDER for me because it was a group of people just like me who wanted to go to WDW and didn't have a lot of money.  

I became a member of this group and over the years I have seen it evolve and grow in to something so much bigger than those early days.  Now under the name of "The Mouse for Less", this group is not only a yahoo group, but they now have a web-site and some of it's members have gone on to start their own travel company called "The Magic for Less" - which is who I use every time we book and Ric is my go-to travel guy!
 
 Honestly, in all of my years of going to Walt Disney World and booking our trips and helping so many others book and plan their trips, I could not have done it without the help of these great sites.  

The Mouse for Less website is full of information to help you plan your trip and get information, but if you join them on Yahoo Groups, you can actually interact with other Disney fanatics and ask questions and get honest answers on what's good, what's not, what's worth doing and what's not.  One of the best programs that they offer to their members is their postcard program.  I love this...I know it has another, more magical name, but for right now it has escaped me!  Sorry!  Anyway, you put in a request with them (on the yahoo group) and say when you are going to WDW, who your favorite Disney character is and something that you would like said.  So what they do is, one of the members who is actually AT Disney will get a postcard and send it to you FROM the character of your choice.

For example, on our family reunion trip back in 2001, it was our first trip with our now-ten year old and the second trip for our now-18 year old.  Well, back then our older son was overcoming his fear of the Haunted Mansion and his favorite characters at the time were Pooh and Tigger.  So we got a postcard FROM Pooh and Tigger telling him that they couldn't wait to see him and look forward to him riding the Haunted Mansion!  He loved it!  On the first trip that I had taken with my mom since 1981, I had Minnie Mouse send her a postcard telling her how excited she was to see her again.  It was priceless!


Disney fans are some of the sweetest people I know and we all share that sense of joy, wonder and excitement and really, The Mouse for Less group has just blessed the masses with it's wisdom.  Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment